Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mocked by Slate

Michael Agger at Slate.com has unknowingly taken a swipe at The Bloguscript. In his 10/1/2008 posting, "Blogging for Dollars," he wrote:

"Once a blog hobbyist goes pro, he or she faces a daily pressure to churn out new material. In the wrong mind, that can lead to top-10 lists, recycled ideas, half-baked notions, lots of viral videos, and a general increase in information pollution."

I am sure Michael did not mean to besmirch the idea of 5-4-Fri with that whole "top-10 lists" bitch-slapping. After all, the ideas may not be new, and the posts may feature a lot of links to videos, and, uh, well, durn it I guess Michael is aiming squarely at your favorite end-of-the-weekly goodness. I suggest that you take a stand. Write a stern letter of support for 5-4-Fri to Agger. Boycot the products not to be found at Slate.com's empty store. Refuse to attend Yale.

Or not. Come to think of it, Agger was commenting on a report released by Technorati regarding the massive salaries to be drawn down by bloggers who reach more than 100,000 or more unique visitors each month and who subsequently cash in on Internet advertising. Not really my problem. Here's my solemn vow: I'll keep it real with two weekly posts for all 5 of you and you'll forgive the demi-Top Ten lists. After all, woefully, blogs are dead.

Glad we cleared that up.

PS - It is fun to track the virtual non-readership of this blog on Sitemeter--you can see the little icon at the bottom of the page. I can tell how many people visited, from where, and when. The stats are laughably small. Seriously, a vertical axis of 10? Oh, and "Concrete Sky" by Beth Orton is listenable; now playing on iTunes.

2 comments:

Lynn Eaton said...

So you, and we by extension, are on the dull, nicking edge of hipness. Oh well - there's way more than enough sharp hipness in my life than may be blunted by one blog. :-) I'm enjoying it, and appreciate the 5-4 Fridays. But doth make one cringe to look into such a critical mirror.

iClipse said...

Who needs hipness? I say Slate can bite me. I don't want millions of readers, or hundreds of thousands of dollars, or...uh, phooey.