Monday, November 17, 2008

Excellent Quotes: Star Wars

Brace yourself. Woefully, there is some slight chance that I am a bit of a nerd. This year, I gave my oldest nephew a copy of the first Star Wars film (now annoyingly referred to as Episode IV: A New Hope) because on my 11th birthday my parents took me to see it in its first theater release. I will not bore you with the extent to which it blew my mind or the subsequent envy of my little brothers or with stories about how my more obsessive friends saw it in the theater more than 10 times. What I will do is share an excellent quote:

EXT TATOOINE - MOS ISLEY - STREET

The speeder is stopped on a crowded street by several combat-hardened stormtroopers who look over the two robots. A Trooper questions Luke.

TROOPER: How long have you had these droids?

LUKE: About three or four seasons.

BEN: They're for sale if you want them.

TROOPER: Let me see your identification.

Luke becomes very nervous as he fumbles to find his ID while Ben speaks to the trooper in a very controlled voice.

BEN: You don't need to see his identification.

TROOPER: We don't need to see his identification.

BEN: These are not the droids you're looking for.

TROOPER: These are not the droids we're looking for.

BEN: He can go about his business.

TROOPER: You can go about your business.

BEN (to Luke): Move along.

TROOPER: Move along. Move Along.

--Lucas, George. Star Wars, The Screenplay (Premiere Magazine Movie Script Library). Monterey Park (CA): O.S.P. Publishing, 1994. Pp. 49-50.

PS - Princess Lea has a new book out, based on her Spalding Grey-like one-woman monologue autobiography show. Wishful Drinking is getting good reviews. Oh, and “So Lonely” by Jakatta is trancy; now playing on iTunes.

No comments: