Monday, March 23, 2009

Excellent Quotes: Stripes

He's a recluse. He's a mystery. He hardly ever returns phone calls. No, no, not me, silly: Bill Murray. His work in "Stripes" was inspired. Particularly this classic quote from the side-splitting met-the-woefully-underprepared-men scene:

"Chicks dig me because I rarely wear underwear and, when I do, it's usually something unusual. But, now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell; so much fun. And the imagination! Lee Harvey: you are a madman! When you stole that cow and your friends tried to make it with the cow; I want to party with you, cowboy. And the two of us together, forget it. I'm going to go out on a limb here. I'm going to volunteer my leadership to this platoon. An army without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Sargent Hulka isn't always going to be there to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy and big toe: Sargent Hulka."

-- John Winger (Bill Murray). Ivan Reitman, "Stripes." Columbia Pictures, 1981.

PS -- We are all deeply indebted to Harold Ramis. Any you guys call me Francis and I'll kill ya. Lighten up, Francis. Oh, and "Do Wah Diddy" by Manfred Mann is Oxbergerlicious; now playing on iTunes.

No comments: