Monday, January 19, 2009

The Inaugural

Kind friends hooked me up with a suh-weet seat at tomorrow's Inaugural ceremonies. I am not looking forward to my 6 a.m. Metro ride but I am pumped about the chance to wave four fingers on each hand at anyone who so much as looks in my direction.

I called my Sister-in-Law to talk about it and she told me that one of my nephews had asked that on Tuesday they eat carrots in honor of the new President. When asked why the carrots, he replied, "I like carrots and I want Mr. Obama to be like me."

Don't we all? The poor man is going to have so many of us wanting him to do what we'd try to do: save the economy, bring back our national self-respect, foster global peace, knit bridges between the elderly and the young so we don't fight over Medicare versus education, and generally not be that woefully idiotic George Bush. We are all so optimistic about the new Administration.

So, put down the smokes and pick up the carrots, Mr. President. We are going to need you for a long time. And we are going to need you to be the kind of a man who makes my nephew say, "I want to be like him" when he grows up.

PS - Now, I love the man but has anyone else noticed that he looks a bit like one of the Easter Island moai? Could be a good thing to have an icon in the Oval Office. Oh, and "Sequestered in Memphis" by The Hold Steady is worth a listen; now playing on iTunes.

No comments: