Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Excellent Quotes: Anthony Bourdain

I read Entertainment Weekly weekly. Don't judge. A fellow needs his vices. I busted a gut reading a welcome but unexpected brand bashing in last week's edition. EW asked celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain about "the five most terrifying meals he's ever encountered." After naming rotten shark and three-day-old warthog, he winds up, reaches back, and - POW! - completely beyotch-slaps Olive Garden:

"Anybody who makes fake Italian food--I become so angry. Italian food to me is such a beautiful, simple thing that most Italian grandmothers can make at least well, and any American with a few dollars and five minutes in the supermarket can make in 20 minutes. I'm apoplectic when I see pasta or Mexican food abused."

-- Anthony Bourdain. "Seriously Scary Meals." Interview with Archana Ram. Entertainment Weekly #1145 (March 11, 2011): p. 68.

Oh, no, he didn't!

PS - I feel exactly like Bourdain whenever fate steers me to that woeful excuse for a restaurant, Don Pablo's. Who can do that to Mexican, I ask you? Turns out that the once iconic South Austin Grill can, that's who. SAG used to be my favorite restaurant ever, but I have had to change my mind and leave behind a once-a-week commitment that stretches back for more than a decade. More on this soon. Oh, and "If I Can't Change Your Mind" by Sugar is anything but tasteless; now playing on iTunes.

No comments: