Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Funny Thing: Waaah Wahhh

So, I have been spending time recently with a young lady who has a five-year-old kid.

You know how parenting a young kid can woefully warp your sense of appropriate conversational riposte.

My brother tells me of the time, when his first-born was 2 years old, that he visited the auto supply shop looking for a cab light replacement bulb for a late '80s Mazda and they gave him the wrong one but the guy behind the counter didn't believe it so he came out to the car to install it himself. The mechanic couldn't, of course, get the incorrect bulb to actually fit into the housing but he didn't want to be wrong so he kept trying to force it. Suddenly, the bulb snapped out of his hand and rocketed off the windshield and around the front of the car, landing on the passenger floor mat. My brother involuntarily yelped, "Uh oh!" in a sing-song voice.

A colleague of mine recalls the time--when her son was a toddler--that her high-end Congressional reporter husband was at a swanky Hill fete and a US Senator in line in front of him at the buffet dropped a croquette on the floor. As the appetizer plunged off the Senator's plate toward the hallowed marble of the Capitol, the reporter sang out, "Oopsie!"

Which brings me to a funny thing:

This young lady and I were recently, how you say in Amreeka, fooling around. I'm all amped up AND trying to get her to give me her earlobe or something AND she isn't reading me AND then I'm trying harder to get around to her neck AND she's getting confused AND I am OCDing on that earlobe AND there is hair in everyone's face AND hormones are raging AND it's about 90 degrees AND the windows are fogging up AND she still has no idea what I am gunning for ... and she takes my face in her hand and blurts out, "Use your words!"

Waaah Wahhh.

PS - Still, we laughed our butts off. Oh, and "Let's Go Surfing" by The Drums is a sassy little number; now playing on iTunes.

No comments: